Going hiking is a great way to get some exercise and connect to nature. If you have never gone on a long hike before, it can be a little intimidating and challenging for beginners. It is all worth it once you get to the top and get to take in those stunning views!
As an avid outdoor enthusiast, Dean Buescher shares his 6 hiking tips for beginners.
- Start off the day right. Make sure to get plenty of sleep the night before, and consider eating a carb-heavy dinner if you’re going hiking the next day. Your body needs plenty of fuel.
- Check the weather and make sure you have the proper hiking gear. Remember, there is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing choices. Having a good pair of hiking boots and comfortable clothing is essential.
- Pack essentials such as a water bottle, healthy snacks, and sunscreen. You may need to bring more gear depending on how long your hiking trip is.
- Have respect for the wildlife around you. Abide by the saying “take nothing but photos and leave nothing but footprints”. As hikers, it is important to take care of and preserve nature so that everyone can continue to enjoy it.
- Keep in mind that you may not have reception where you are going. Download your hiking path before you leave. It’s also a good idea to take an old-fashioned paper map as well.
- Tell people where you are going to be hiking before you head off.
Leave a Reply